Saturday, January 09, 2010

and it begins.....

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.

— Carlos Castaneda

The Crossfit "I am Crossfit EPOC" challenge has begun! It kicked off last night with 100+ people willing to forgo Friday night plans to sit in an unheated gym in 30 degree weather. Why? Because we are devoted to the sport, we are striving to better ourselves and damn it, we love hanging out with other crossfitters:). Coach Carey gave an fantastic speech about goal setting that motivated me to my very core. This goal setting goes WAY beyond fitness and reaches into the depths of our daily lives. Crossfit wants to see you successful in all aspects of your life and they honestly help build a fitter community. It's such a gorgeous vision!

If you're wondering what "EPOC" stands for click this link. The science behind this type of fitness is pretty damn amazing!


" You gain strength, experience and confidence by every experience where you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you cannot do.— Eleanor Roosevelt"

I won't lie, fear was in the forefront of my thoughts as I woke. This was my first challenge, my first benchmark for such and the weather was 20 degrees. I'm not the best runner in lung freezing weather and HATE that metallic taste you get. Bleech! Today was a good day to face some fears and just bloody do it!

I arrived early( seriously, I am always early and have been all my life), and checked in. I found it rather ironic that we took pics on a day this cold. It took each athlete like 5 minutes to undress all the layers they piled on before heading out....silliness. I watched the first group go to get a sense of the workout and be mentally ready.....then we "warmed" up. No actual warmth was achieved until the end of my workout....

The workout was 3 rounds* of:

400 M run
15 Pull-ups
7 Hang Cleans(65lbs)

*12 min cut off

First run time was 1:42(not bad) and I jumped onto the pull-up bar. What saved me here was wearing my gloves on the bar. Coach didn't mind, the gloves had grip and saved me much pain:). When I get the kip down( and I WILL) then it will be frozen fingers forever! My pull-ups were flawed severely in that I selected a band that was too easy. The hang cleans were heavy but not impossible although I did struggle the 3rd round. 65lbs was a good weight for me because 45lb would have been way too easy.



3rd round was by far the toughest as my pull-ups were slowing down, my arms hurt and the cleans were MUCH slower. I MUST get that jump down because there is no power without it!



My time was 9:19 and I was thrilled to not only make the 12 minute cut off but by a couple minutes. YAY!!!! Mental motivation! I decided to stay 2 hours and cheer others on. Some were friends from my 5:30 am class, some in my challenge group and others from around. It was really a beautiful day! During this challenge I'm going to try to do 100% Paleo for 8 weeks. A glass or two of wine might sneak in but NO SUGAR, damn it! Evil vile tasty poison.

Here is a video of the CF Central coaches doing the very same workout we did today!
Enjoy!

B

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Great job today Barbara!!

Brit-Man said...

I'm glad you enjoy the things you do.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan said...

Nice job, Barbara! That workout is a meanie -- deceptively evil.

I'm 100% no-cheat paleo from now until 2/14, so let me know if you need a complaining/whining/celebrating partner. My dad just started paleo, so I'm doing no-cheat in solidarity with him.